Thursday, March 20, 2008

Movie: Untergang, Der (2004) - Hitler's Downfall

I would just like to say that I really liked the movie. Bruno Ganz really did a great job acting as Hitler; his expressions were notible and gave me the sense that I was seeing the real-life Adolf. How does one make a movie about a ruthless dictator (monster) and give him the ability to be more noble or even empathetic toward himself or others? The director, Oliver Hirschbiegel, showed us an exclusive look inside Hitler's last moments as the setting takes place mainly in an underground bunker.

The movie intros us with an older woman whom explains to us her remorse for helping out Hitler; she acts as the narrator for the movie and I think this helped elevate the situation some. Throughout the movie we see more dialogue and less chaos; this helps the viewer understand better what the people were going through in these desperate times. Only seeing the Russians a few times helped keep the focus on the Germans; this was a smart move and helped keep the intensity of the invasion up.

The expressions on everyone's face says it all... the adults tried to show that they were not frightened, discouraged, etc., while the children soldiers kept more of a determined and focused look. The movie definitely needed the suicides, nudity, and even laughter to help us grasp the monstrosities of war and how one person, Hitler, could cause this disaster for reasons of religion or racial beliefs. It was also important to emphasize the comments by Hitler and his officials, that the German people wanted this type of government and they should deal with their decision (even if they would die because of it).

Subtitles!!!! I had a hard time getting into the movie because of this, but I think it was the right approach. I kindof liked the mystery behind this time in history, and I actually preferred this style of viewing the movie because it allowed me to stay interested and focused. If they changed it to english dialect, I wouldn't get involved, as much, and I think that would interfere with the realism that the movie portrays now.

Overall the movie was very enjoyable and I would probably not watch it again mainly for the duration. This movie could have been shorter, but I think it gave a since of foreboding (future misfortune). I do like the final outcome where Traudl Junge, our young secretary narrator, frees herself from the cluches of Adolf's leadership. The movie gave me a sense of realism because of the directing style and confined space.

Wikipedia says...
der Führer means... "the term referred to a commander lacking the qualifications for permanent command." This makes me wonder why they called Hitler the Fuhrer; maybe he lacked the leadership skills.

No comments: